Q / A
13. Knowing God through Science
What is the relation of science and Islam? Don’t you agree that science is a way to develop human mental level to know God, as His right is? Thank you.
Islam, the final eternal message of Allah to humanity, addresses the human intellect in order to be convinced of its genuine truth. To be convincing to ALL people at All times, this FINAL message is based on scientific reasoning that fits the evolving scientific knowledge of all generations. Such a message is the only one fit to be a “universal” message, and the “only one” remaining undistorted as revealed 14 centuries ago. Previous messages, were based on material miracles, witnessed only by a limited group of the respective prophet’s contemporaries. Each of these messages were sent to suit only that particular “nation”, in terms of time or place.
The essence of Islam is to incite the human brain to think, observe, analyze and reach sound conclusions. The very first words revealed to Muhammad (peace be upon him) carried an instruction to learn: “Read”, as well as a precise reference to a biological concept. Man is created from `alaq, in Arabic: something that clings, referring to the clinging of a sperm to the ovum to start ovulation (or the subsequent clinging of the resulting zygote to the uterine wall). These first few verses end with a reminder of the bounties of Allah in guiding man to knowledge:
All through the Qur’an, repeated references to scientific
notions and facts are the main tools of: 1) motivating the intellect towards 2)
sound firm belief and
That the Qur’an is the Word of Allah is self-proven through examining the Qur’an; the notions implied thereof (scientific, historical, psychological, legislative … etc) are far beyond that of any human being, when revealed and for centuries to come. The style, i.e. semantics, rhetoric, grammatical structure, eloquence, and internal music of the Arabic Qur’an is a standing challenge to all humanity and forever:
The Qur’an motivates
the intellect through:
· So have they not pondered over the Saying, or did there come to them that which did not come up to their earliest fathers? (English meaning of 23: 68).
· So give good tidings to My bondmen. Who listen to the Saying (and) so closely follow the fairest of it. Those are they whom Allah has guided, and those are the ones endowed with intellects (English meaning of 39: 17-18).
2) Arguing with evidence:
· Is not He (Most Charitable) Who begins creation, (and) thereafter He brings it back again, and Who provides you from the heaven and the earth? Is there a god with Allah? Say, “Offer your proof, in case you are sincere” (English meaning of 27: 64).
· If there were in both of them gods except Allah, indeed they would (both) suffer corruption. All Extolment be to Allah, The Lord of The Throne, above whatever they describe (English meaning of 21: 22).
· Will they not contemplate the Qur’an? And if it had been from (any where) other than the Providence of Allah, indeed they would have found in it many difference(s) (English meaning of 4: 82).
3) Inviting to reflect on the Creation:
· Surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and in the alternation of the night and the daytime there are signs indeed for ones endowed with intellects. The ones who remember Allah, upright and seated on their sides, and meditate upon the creation of the heavens and the earth: “Our Lord, in no way have You created this untruthfully (English meaning of 3: 190-191).
4) And to seek knowledge:
· He brings (the) Wisdom to whomever He decides; and Whoever is brought (the) Wisdom, then he has been brought much charity; and in no way does anyone constantly remember except those endowed with intellects (English meaning of 2: 269).
· And in no way did We send (even) before you, except men to Whom We revealed. “So ask the population of the Remembrance, in case you do not know.” (English meaning of 16: 43).
5) And to respect science and scientists:
· Say, “Are the ones who know equal to the ones who do not know?” Surely only the ones endowed with intellects would remind themselves (English meaning of 39: 9).
· … and in no way does anyone know its interpretation except Allah. And the ones firmly established in knowledge say, “We have believed in it; all is from the Providence of our Lord.” And in no way does anyone constantly remember except the ones endowed with intellects (English meaning of 3: 7).
6) And to know that the universe is controlled by precise laws:
Qur`an sets fire on all sorts of superstitions:1) Auguring:
… and in case an odious (thing) afflicted them,
they would augur ill by Musa and the one with him. Verily their bird (of augury)
is surely only in the Meeting with Allah, but most of them did not know
- and the Hadith: “The sun and the moon do not
eclipse due to the death
2) unscientific thinking:
And the peots, the misguided closely follow them;
have you not seen
3) baseless claims:
He (Hud) said, “Abomination and anger from your
Lord have already
And the Jews have said, “Uzayr is the son of
Allah. “And the Christians
And they have taken to themselves gods, apart from
Him, that create
4) Blindly following of ancestors, leaders and clergy:
Now, the fruit of using the intellect to reach honest sound conclusions is a firm belief in:
* The Presence of Allah, the origin of all existence .
* His Attributes.
* His Bounties on all creatures on this earth.
* Qur`an is the final Word of Allah.
A Muslim having such a clear vision would:
1) Know and remember Allah:
· Surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and in the alternation of the night and the daytime there are signs indeed for ones endowed with intellects. The ones who remember Allah, upright and seated and on their sides, and meditate upon the creation of the heavens and the earth: “Our Lord, in no way have You created this untruthfully. All Extolment be to You! So protect us from the torment of the Fire! (English meaning of 3: 190-191).
2) Willingly and continuously submit to His doctrine:
3) Beware of disobeying Him:
Is he who is devoutly (praying) at various times
of the night, prostrate and upright, being wary of the Hereafter, and hoping for
the mercy of his Lord (the same as the disbeliever)? (English meaning of 39: 9).
you who have believed, seek help in patience and
prayer, surely Allah is with the patient. And do not say of whomever are killed
in the way of Allah, “(They are) dead.” No indeed, they are alive but you are
not aware. And indeed We will definitely try you with something of fear and
hunger, and diminution of riches, and selves, and products; and give glad
tidings to the patient. Who, when an affliction afflicts them, say, “Surely we
belong to Allah, and surely to Him we are turning. Upon those are the prayers
from their Lord, and mercy; and those are
5) Trust and hope in the Hereafter: